What is a Passport Seva Kendra?
Passport Seva Kendra is an extended branch of the passport offices in India. These offices are responsible for delivering passports and other related services in tier 1 and 2 cities. Additionally, they extend online services, thereby eliminating the need for applying through agents. This also makes passport applications safer, transparent and quicker.
Now that you know what Passport Seva Kendra is, let's delve into learning other important details.
Roles and Responsibilities of PSK for Passport
Passport Seva Kendras are responsible for performing the following roles and responsibilities:
- Acceptance and Verification of Passport Application
- Issuance or Re-Issuance of Passport to Eligible Candidates
- Police Verification
- Printing and Final Delivery of Passports
What Is the Application Process at a Passport Seva Kendra?
Follow the simple steps to apply for a passport at Passport Seva Kendra online and offline:
Passport Seva Kendra Online Application
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Passport Seva. If you are not a registered member, first register yourself with the portal.
- Step 2: Once you create your username and ID, log in with that credential.
- Step 3: Select "Apply for Fresh Passport or Reissue of Passport". Fill in the form with the relevant information such as your name, contact details etc.
- Step 4: Select "Pay and Schedule Appointment" available under the "View Saved or Submitted Application".
- Step 5: Online payment is mandatory to book an appointment in Passport Seva Kendra. Choose from the following payment options:
- Internet Banking (State Bank of India and other associated banks).
- Credit or Debit Card (Visa or MasterCard).
- Bank Challan of SBI.
- Step 6: Select "Print Application Receipt" to take a printout. Carrying this application receipt is no longer mandatory. An SMS summarising your appointment details, including your Appointment Reference Number, is also accepted during the appointment day.
Passport Seva Kendra Offline Application
- Download the e-Form from the portal.
- Fill it in with relevant information such as type of application, your name, place of birth etc.
- Upload it during the online application.
After successfully submitting your application online, visit your nearest PSK at the scheduled date with all original documents.
Steps to Check Availability of Online Appointment for PSK
Mandatory biometric check of the applicants is essential while applying for a passport. For that, you need to visit your nearest Passport Seva Kendra after submitting your application online. Accordingly, you need to schedule a convenient slot for an appointment.
Follow the simple steps to check the availability of appointment slots in Passport Seva Kendra:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Passport Seva. Select "Check Appointment Availability"
- Step 2: Select "Passport Office". Enter the verification code and click "Check Appointment Availability."
- Step 3: You can now see the location, address and appointment date of your nearest Passport Seva Kendra.
You can also reschedule or cancel your appointment as well on this online portal.
Procedures to Follow During Appointment Day at PSK Office
Follow the procedures mentioned below during your appointment day at the Passport Seva Kendra:
1. After you enter the main office, provide the appointment receipt and original documents to the passport official. He/she will issue a token.
2. Now you have to walk-in in three counters - Counter A, B and C.
Type of Counters
Role of the Counter
Average Time Taken at the Counter
You have to go through the biometric data test at this counter. Additionally, it also includes verification and uploading of your documents.
10 to 15 minutes.
On this counter, a passport officer verifies your original documents and put a stamp on the documents and your passport
20 to 30 minutes
A senior officer verifies your document. He/she asks a few questions and lets you know whether your passport application is successful. He/she also confirms whether any police verification is needed during or after this.
Submit your token at the exit counter. A PSK personnel will issue a passport application receipt. This includes your passport file number, which you can use to track your application status online.
Steps to Track the Application Status of Passport Seva Kendra
After submitting your application, check your application status. Take a look at the following steps:
Track Application Status of PSK Online
- Step 1: Visit Passport Seva portal. Select "Track Application Status"
- Step 2: Select the Application Type, enter your 15-digit file number and date of birth. Click "Track Status" to view your application status on the screen.
Track Application Status of PSK Offline
You can also check your passport application status offline through the following modes:
- SMS Services (Send <STATUS FILE NUMBER> to 9704100100).
- National Call Centre (Contact number – 18002581800).
- Directly Visit Your local Passport Seva Kendra
How Many Passport Seva Kendra Are Operational in India?
There are approximately 81 Passport Seva Kendra in India. Take a look at the availability of other passport offices in India:
Availability in India
Post Office Passport Seva Kendra
Regional Passport Offices
Passport Seva Laghu Kendra
The Passport Seva Kendra available in every Indian city aims to meet the rising demands for passports in that particular area. Knowing what Passport Seva Kendra is and applying for a passport through it is necessary for a smooth application process. Further, the online platform has made it convenient to avail contactless passport-related services in this current global health crisis.