Terms and conditions apply*
How to Apply for an Occupancy Certificate in Bangalore?
One may need an occupancy certificate in various scenarios. It can be applying for water supply, purchasing or selling a property, or securing the legal status of one. Getting an occupancy certificate in Bangalore can be a hectic process if one does not know the intricacies of the procedure.
Let’s look at the application process and other crucial aspects related to it.
What Is the Definition of Occupancy Certificate (OC)?
An occupancy certificate indicates that a building is fit for occupancy and has been built by abiding the national building codes. Development authorities such as local government bodies (like a municipality) can issue an occupancy certificate. People who are looking to buy a new house must buy the property only if the building has the occupancy certificate.
Now, let’s take a look at the various benefits or uses of having an occupancy certificate.
What Are the Uses of Occupancy Certificates?
There are various uses for occupancy certificates. Let's look at them one by one:
- An occupancy certificate will make it easy for one to apply for and get access to electricity connection, water supply etc.
- A building is legally fit only when it has an occupancy certificate.
- A valid occupancy certificate is a must when selling or buying property.
- An occupancy certificate is mandatory while applying for a mortgage loan.
- This certificate plays a role when one tries to get a certified copy of a building's deed.
What Is the Eligibility Criteria for Occupancy Certificate in Bangalore?
To get an occupancy certificate in Bangalore, one has to meet certain eligibility criteria. The following factors make a builder eligible for obtaining an occupancy certificate. Let’s take a look:
- The builder has constructed a building (for which one is applying) according to the approved plan and national building laws.
- A building has all the basic requirements of a well-functioning establishment, that is electricity, drainage etc.
- The builder has to obtain clearances from all the required departments like the pollution and fire authority.
What Are the Documents Required for Occupancy Certificate in Bangalore?
One can get an occupancy certificate in Bangalore if a building has no discrepancy in design and has disregarded authorised building plans. To get an occupancy certificate, one can apply for it within 30 days of completing a building.
Let's look at the documents required for the application process mentioned above:
- A copy of the building plan that is government approved.
- Commencement of construction certificate.
- Copies of NOC documents that the airport authority, fire and pollution board provide.
- Property tax slips (Recent or updated).
- Project completion certificate.
- The floor’s area calculation sheet, with an authorised architect’s sign.
- Proofs (photographs) of solar panels and rain harvesting systems.
Steps to Apply for an Occupancy Certificate in Bangalore Online
To know how to get an occupancy certificate in Bangalore, follow the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike website.
Step 2: Find out the “Online services” button on the home page.
Step 3: Click on the "Submission of building application" and log in using your username and password.
Step 4: Click on the “Occupancy” tab and click on “Building completion”.
Step 5: A question “Do you have a DPMS online building permit number?” Click on “Yes.”
Step 6: Fill in the DPMS file number and click on “Find.”
Step 7: Look carefully for errors in the information, if none, click on “Save and continue.”
Step 8: If the online procedure cannot avail Building Permit, you have to select "No" in step 5.
Step 9: After that, you have to fill in the application form to generate new file numbers.
Step 10: Open “New Proposal” and attach necessary plans or documents by selecting “Report.”
Step 11: Create an acknowledgement number or a file name and send an SMS from the registered mobile number.
The file name or acknowledgement number will come into play later when one tracks the status of an occupancy certificate.
Steps to Track the Application Status of the Occupancy Certificate in Bangalore
Let’s look at how to check occupancy certificate online in Bangalore:
Step 1: Visit BBMP’s town planning website.
Step 2: Find out “Occupancy certificate details” and select “Click Here.”
Step 3: Click on “Submit” after selecting your location and year.
Step 4: You can check and track the occupancy certificate application status on the screen.
One should apply for an occupation certificate within 30 days of completing a project. Generally, it takes a builder less than 30 days to get the certificate if there is no problem with the documents provided and the building is eligible for it.
Difference Between Occupancy, Possession and Completion Certificate
|Parameter||Occupancy Certificate||Possession Certificate||Completion Certificate|
|Purpose||This certificate implies that a building is made abiding by the approved plan and building laws.||A builder issues this certificate to a buyer of the property.||A completion certificate denotes that the construction of a building is complete and it is made abiding by building laws and approved plans.|
|Significance||A builder can sell a property and apply for electricity or water supply only after having an occupancy certificate.||Possession certificate does not make the buyer a rightful owner of the property.||-|
|Time of Issue||An occupancy certificate is issued after a builder gets a completion certificate.||A builder can issue this certificate after getting a completion certificate.||-|