Vitamin D falls under the group of fat-soluble vitamins. They are responsible for regulating calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in the body. Further, vitamin D3 and D2 are essential components in this group necessary for humans.
Generally, your skin can synthesise vitamin D in the presence of sunlight due to the presence of cholecalciferol in the lower epidermis. However, one can ingest this vitamin from several sources.
As this vitamin keeps the bones, teeth and muscles functioning properly, deficiency causes bone and teeth deformities. The most common disease observed among the Indian population is rickets.
Here are some other roles of vitamin D rich foods in your body:
- Helps in promoting healthy bones and teeth.
- Supports immune, brain and nervous system.
- Regulates insulin level, thereby supporting diabetes management.
- Promotes lung function and cardiovascular health.
- Influences gene expressions that are involved in cancer involvement.
Therefore, it is vital to intake foods high in vitamin D to keep your bones healthy and functioning properly.
Now let’s go through some food items that are rich in vitamin D.