Fame India Scheme
Pollution from vehicle emissions has significantly increased in recent years. To reduce pollution caused by diesel and petrol operated vehicles and to promote electric or hybrid vehicles in India, the Central Government launched the Fame India Scheme in 2015.
Wondering what benefits are offered under Fame India Scheme? Stay tuned!
What Is Fame India Scheme?
Fame India scheme is an incentive scheme that encourages the adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles. The full form of Fame India scheme is “Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles in India”.
Manufacturers and infrastructure providers of electric vehicles receive this incentive in the form of subsidies. Fame India scheme is a part of the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan and was launched by the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
Fame India Scheme operates in two phases. These are,
- Phase I: The first phase of Fame India Scheme started in 2015 and was functional till 31st March 2019.
- Phase II: The second phase of this scheme started in April 2019 and will continue till 31st March 2022.
Note: The Government has decided to further extend Fame India Scheme Phase II till 31st March 2024.
What are the Objectives of Fame India Scheme?
The primary objectives of Fame India scheme are listed below.
- This scheme encourages electric vehicle manufacturers and related providers to manufacture a higher number of electric vehicles in the country.
- Its goal is to reduce vehicular emissions and air pollution levels within the country.
- This scheme also aims to establish an electric charging infrastructure.
- In addition, Fame India Scheme targets to convert 30% of total transportation into electric vehicles by the year 2030.
Now that you have learnt about Fame India Scheme’s meaning and objectives, let’s move on to the next sections to obtain more knowledge on its features and benefits.
What are the Features of the Fame India Scheme?
As stated earlier, Fame India Scheme is operational via two phases, namely, Phase I and Phase II. Here, the features of these phases are discussed separately.
Features of Phase I of Fame India Scheme
- The concerned authorities implemented the first phase by focusing on four key areas. These are (a) Demand Creation, (b) Technology Platform, (c) Pilot Project and (d) Charging Infrastructure.
- The Government installed 427 charging stations during Phase I.
- The Government allotted ₹ 895 crores to cover the operations of Phase I. Here, nearly 2.8 lakh electric vehicles were supported with an amount of ₹ 359 crores.
Features of Phase II of Fame India Scheme
- The second phase of Fame India Scheme stresses on electrification of public transportation and shared transportation.
- This phase gets budgetary support of ₹ 10,000 crores.
- Through this scheme, the concerned department aims to provide incentives to various categories of vehicles. These are,
- Electric Two-wheelers: 10 lakh registered electric two-wheelers will get an incentive of ₹ 20,000 each.
- Electric Four-wheelers: 35,000 electric 4-wheelers with ex-factory price of ₹ 15 lakh will get an incentive of ₹ 1.5 lakh each.
- Hybrid Four-wheelers: Through this scheme, the Government will provide ₹ 13,000 - ₹ 20,000 as an incentive to hybrid 4-wheelers with ex-factory price of ₹ 15 lakh.
- e-rickshaws: 5 lakh e-rickshaws (each) can avail ₹ 50,000 as incentives.
- e-buses: Nearly 8000 e-buses with a maximum ex-factory price of ₹ 2 crores will receive an incentive of ₹ 50 lakh each.
- Under the second phase of Fame India Scheme, the Government is hopeful of establishing 2700 charging stations in metros, smart cities, hilly states, million-plus cities across the country. The grid measurement will follow a 3 km x 3 km layout.
- The Government aims to cover highways as well and establish charging stations on both sides of the road with a gap of 25 km between two consecutive stations.
What are the Benefits of Fame India Scheme?
Fame India scheme offers the following benefits:
- Issues related to environmental and fuel conservation will be significantly reduced.
- Vehicles from different segments will receive subsidy benefits accordingly.
- Citizens can avail themselves of eco-friendly public transportation.
- This scheme will allow individuals to reap the benefits of renewable energy sources through charging systems.
- The establishment of charging stations in close proximity further encourages individuals to opt for electric vehicles.
To avail of the benefits offered under Fame India Scheme, applicants have to first be eligible for it. The following section covers the eligibility criteria for this scheme. Read along!
Who Is Eligible for Fame India Scheme?
The benefits of Fame India scheme is available for the following individuals:
- Electric vehicle manufactures
- Electric vehicle infrastructure providers
Now that you know the eligibility criteria of this scheme, let’s move on to learn about the application process.
How to Avail Benefits Under Fame India Scheme?
To avail of the benefits of Fame India Scheme’s latest phase, i.e. Phase II, applicants have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1- Visit the official website of the Department of Heavy Industries, Ministry of Heavy Industries, and Public enterprises.
- Step 2- Click on Fame India Phase II option.
- Step 3- After that, an application form will appear on your screen.
- Step 4- Fill up that form with relevant information and follow the instructions to complete the procedure.
Note: Applicants must follow the instructions given by the concerned department. Further, they must remember, there is no other way of applying for the Fame India Scheme.
Now that you know every detail of Fame India Scheme, you can opt for electric vehicles to ensure a greener and cleaner future for yourself and upcoming generations.