Buy Health Insurance Policy Online in India
What is a Health Insurance?
A health insurance or a medical insurance is a type of general insurance that safeguards you against financial losses by covering for you when you’re faced with a health condition or medical emergency such as due to a disease, illness or even an accident.
This includes expenses incurred during pre and post-hospitalization, annual health check-ups, psychiatric support, critical illnesses and maternity-related expenses amongst others, as per your customized health insurance plan.
Think of it like that one friend who you know will always be there for you whenever you’re sick or even just feeling low.
“I don’t need Health Insurance”
If you believe that, read on.
What's Great about a Health Insurance by Digit?
INFINITEEEEE Health Insurance with Digit Infinity Wallet Plan
Health Insurance Options Suited for Everyone
What’s covered in our Health Insurance?
Double Wallet Plan
Infinity Wallet Plan
Worldwide Treatment Plan
This covers for all hospitalization expenses including due to an Illness, Accident, Critical Illness or even pandemics like Covid 19. It can be used to cover for multiple hospitalizations, as long as the total expenses are up to your sum insured.
You need to wait for a defined period from the first day of your policy to get covered for treatment related to any non-accidental illness. This is the Initial Waiting period.
Exclusive Wellness Benefits like Home Healthcare, Tele consultations, Yoga and Mindfullness and many more available on our App.
We provide a back-up Sum Insured which is 100% of your Sum Insured amount. How does Sum Insured Back Up work? Suppose your policy Sum Insured is Rs. 5 lac. You make a claim of Rs.50,000. Digit automatically triggers the wallet benefit. So you now have 4.5lac + 5 lac Sum Insured available for the year. However, one single claim, cannot be more than the base Sum Insured as in the above case, 5 lac. .
No claims in the Policy year? You get a bonus -an additional amount in your total sum-insured for staying healthy & claim free!
Different categories of rooms have different rents. Just like how hotel rooms have tarrifs. Digit plans give you the benefit of having no room rent cap, as long as it is below your Sum Insured..
Health insurance covers medical expenses only for hospitalizations exceeding 24 hours. Day care procedures refer to medical treatments undertaken in a hospital, requiring less than 24 hours due to technological advancement such as cataract, dialysis etc.
Get a world class treatment with the Worldwide Coverage! If your doctor identifies an illness during your health examination in India and you wish to get a treatment abroad, then we’re there for you.You’re covered!
We pay for your health check-up expenses upto the amount mentioned in your Plan. No restrictions on the kind of tests! Be it ECG or Thyroid Profile. Make sure you go through your policy schedule to check the claim limit.
There may be emergency life-threatening health conditions which may require immediate transportation to hospital. We absolutely understand this and reimburse for expenses incurred for your transportation to a hospital in airplane or helicopter.
Co-Payment means a cost sharing requirement under a Health Insurance Policy that provides that the Policyholder/Insured will bear a specified percentage of the admissible claims amount. It does not reduce the Sum Insured. This percentage depends on various factors like age, or sometimes also on your treatment city called zone based copayment. In our plans, there is no age based or zone based Co payment involved.
Get reimbursed for the expenses of road ambulance, in case you are hospitalized.
This cover is for all expenses before and after hospitalization such as for diagnosis, tests and recovery.
The disease or condition that you are already suffering with and have disclosed to us before taking the policy and has been accepted by us has a waiting period as per plan opted and mentioned in your Policy Schedule.
This is the amount of time you need to wait for, until you can make a claim for a specific illness. At Digit it is 2 years and starts from the day of policy activation. For the full list of exclusions, read Standard Exclusions (Excl02) of your policy wordings.
If You sustain an Accidental Bodily Injury during the Policy Period, which is the sole and direct cause of Your Death within twelve (12) months from the date of accident, then We will pay 100% of the Sum Insured as mentioned in Policy Schedule against this cover and as per plan opted.
Your organ donor gets covered in your policy. We also take care of the pre and post hospitalization expenses of the donor. Organ donating is one of the kindest deeds ever and we thought to ourselves, why not be a part of it!
Hospitals can go out of beds, or the patient’s condition may be rough to get admitted in a hospital. Don’t panic! We cover you for the medical expenses even if you get treatment at home.
Obesity may be the root cause of so many health issues. We absolutely understand this, and cover for Bariatric Surgery when it is medically necessary and advised by your doctor. However, we DONOT cover if hospitalization for this treatment is for cosmetic reasons.
If due to a trauma, a member has to be hospitalized for a psychiatric treatment, it will be covered under this benefit, upto INR 1,00,000. However, OPD consultations are not covered under this. The waiting period for Psychiatric Illness Cover is same as Specific Illness waiting period.
Before, during & after hospitalization, there are many other medical aids & expenditures such as walking aids, crepe bandages, belts, etc.,which need your pocket’s attention.This cover takes care of these expenses that are otherwise excluded from the policy.
What’s not covered?
Key benefits of Health Insurance by Digit
Room Rent Capping
16400+ Network Hospitals across India
Inbuilt Personal Accident Cover
Available from 10+ Wellness Partners
City Based Discount
Up to 10% Discount
Good Health Discount
Up to 5% Discount
Available as an Add-on
All is Well - Wellness Benefits for All Health Customers
Our Wellness Program is an effort in helping you reach your goal of healthy life. It aims to help you achieve a healthy lifestyle through a range of discounts and benefits on health and fitness services.
Additionally, our program includes informative sessions and programs that can help you become more aware of your health and empower you to take better care of yourself. With our wellness program, we strive to provide you with the awareness and resources needed to stay in the pink of your health.!
Some of our Wellness Benefits are:
- Teleconsultations with general physicians
- Offers and discounts on dental consultations
- Discounts on health checks and diagnostics
- Cashbacks on online medicine orders
- Access to Yoga sessions by professionals and many more offers.
How to Buy Health Insurance with Digit?
With all digital friendly and hassle-free process, buying insurance at Digit is as easy as A.B.C. with just a few simple steps:
- Step 1: At the designated space on our health insurance page, enter your pin code and mobile number.
- Step 2: On the next page, enter details of your family members you want insurance for the age of the eldest member post which you can customise your plan.
- Step 3: Choose your Sum Insured, your Plan and any additional benefits like the consumables cover. You will also see our discounts listed here.
- Step 4: Enter your and your family members’ complete details.
- Step 5: Based on the options you have chosen; you will be provided with your annual premium payment amount that you can pay, submit your KYC and get your policy issued instantly.
Yes, it is as simple as that!
No hassle – just a few minutes of your time and you have covered your health!
How to Renew Your Health Insurance with Digit?
Given the importance of a health insurance, it is highly imperative that our healthcare policy is always active because we never know when we might need it. Hence, paying the health insurance premium on time is of utmost importance.
With absolutely simple and digital friendly process at Digit, you can renew your health insurance in just a few simple steps:
Step 1: Visit the Renewals tab on our website or App.
Step 2: Login with your registered mobile number or your policy details.
Step 3: The screen shows your policy details along with a renew tab 45 days prior to renewal. Step 4: Make the payment and its done!
You receive regular communication from Digit to renew your health insurance policy a few days prior to the renewal. These communications come with a renewal link that you can use to directly make the payment and renew your policy.
How to File a Claim?
Digit makes it to the headlines!
Health Insurance: All you need to know to avoid rejection of claims
- 02 Jan 2023
- B. KRISHNA MOHAN
How To Claim Health Insurance From Multiple Policies: All You Need To Know
- 07 Dec 2022
- Neelanjit Das
Maternity health insurance - what is covered, waiting period, tax benefits
- 02 Jan 2023
Add a layer of financial security with top-up and super top-up policies
- 29 Aug 2022
- B. KRISHNA MOHAN
How does a Health Insurance Claim Work?
New to health insurance and confused how do health insurance claims work, especially with respect to Digit’s Health Insurance? We simplify it for you below.
What is a claim, even?
So you’ve seen this word everywhere but not sure what it means exactly. To simply put it, a claim is what you need to do when you want your health insurance company to pay for your hospitalization expenses in case of a treatment.
Claims are usually to be informed about in advance for planned treatments and hospitalizations whereas in case of medical emergencies the situation would be different, based on the type of claim you’re going for. At Digit, there are primarily two types of health insurance claims you can opt for.
As the name suggests, cashless claims refer to claims where you don’t need to pay from your pocket at the time of hospitalization. “But isn’t my health insurer supposed to pay anyway?” you wonder. The answer to that is yes, of course.
However, there is also an option to go for reimbursement claims wherein you pay for your treatment costs at the time of hospitalization, and later – within 20 to 30 days get the bills reimbursed by your insurer.
However, when you opt for cashless claims you don’t need to do that as the hospital will directly take care of the bills with your insurer.
Read More about Cashless Claims.
As mentioned above, reimbursement claims are a type of health insurance claim wherein during hospitalization, you pay for your hospital bills and later, post discharge contact your health insurer to get your hospital bills reimbursed.
This process takes anytime between 2 weeks to 4 weeks depending on your insurer. At Digit, since all processes are digital (even for documentation purposes!) the time taken to settle claims is actually a lot faster!
Types of Health Insurance Options in India
The Growing Health Insurance Accessibility and Awareness in India
In 2021, when India’s population stood at 1.39 billion, nearly 514 million people across India were covered under health insurance schemes. Out of these, 342.91 million (24.67%) were covered under government sponsored schemes, 118.7 million (8.53%) under employee health insurance (excluding the state owned) and just 53.14 million (3.82%) were covered under individual health insurance. 
However, the situation has been improving in recent years due to various initiatives by the government and insurance companies.
The COVID-19 pandemic led to a significant increase in awareness and demand for health insurance in India. Many people who were previously uninsured have realized the importance of having health insurance during a health crisis, leading to an increase in the number of policyholders.
As of now, there are 32 health insurance companies operating in India comprised of government sector insurers, private insurers, and standalone health insurers.
To increase the penetration of health insurance in India, the government and the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) have taken several measures to make health insurance more accessible and understandable to customers.
Read about IRDAI’s mission of Insurance for all by 2047.
Why Should You Get Health Insurance?
Here's why more and more people are opting for a health insurance in India.
1. Because it helps cover for medical expenses!
The primary benefit of a health insurance is that it covers for your pre and post hospitalization related expenses in case of an unfortunate accident or illness, which would otherwise eat your bank balance away!
As per the National Family Health Survey-3, 70% of urban and 63% of rural households depend upon private hospitals where the cost of healthcare services are usually much higher than government-owned medical facilities. Thus, middle and upper-class individuals are more likely to avail of services in a private hospital.
2. Because it can help maximize your tax savings!
Who doesn’t want additional tax savings, right? According to Section 80D of the Income Tax, anyone who buys a health insurance for themselves, or their parents can claim tax benefits on the annual premium!
3. Because it can safeguard you from critical illnesses
Contrary to popular belief, many critical illnesses like cancer and heart diseases are today diagnosed in young people <40. A health insurance ensures you will be financially covered in the likelihood of the same.
4. Because it keeps you financially secure!
More than anything else, a health insurance is a smart investment to make that not only helps safeguard your health by always being there you financially but, also helps you with benefits like no claim bonuses which are an ultimate win-win for the long run!
5. Because it ensures you get the right treatment at the right time!
Imagine that because of some reason, you or a family member need treatment but don’t have enough funds for it so you put it off for some time. This can often make matters worse.
A health insurance is important as it prevents this from happening and ensures you get your required treatments done on time. Additionally, with annual health checkups included in health insurance plans, you will always be aware of your health which can otherwise often go unnoticed.
6. Because it gives you some peace of mind!
How do you feel when you know that someone will always have your back during unfortunate situations? Relived, right? With regards to your health too- you can count on a health insurance to have your back in times of need.
Invest in Your Health: Scenarios that Show the Importance of Health Coverage
Health insurance is an important investment that provides financial security in case of medical emergencies. Consider the below scenarios where you may want to reconsider not having health insurance:
1. My Employer is Taking Care of my Health Insurance; I do Not Need One
While it is great that your employer provides health insurance, it may not be sufficient. Employee health insurance may have limitations such as lower sum insured or coverage that may not be adequate for your needs.
Also, an employer health insurance covers you only during your job tenure. Once you switch jobs and if there is a break between the next employer coverage, you are left without any insurance coverage in that period.
Some companies do not provide health cover during probation period. Owing to these reasons, it is important to review your employer's health insurance policy and consider investing in a separate individual health insurance policy to supplement it.
2. I Feel my 5 lac Sum Insured is Sufficient to Cover Even Serious Illnesses if Such Day Arrives.
You might have a health insurance but with low sum insured. A low sum insured may not be sufficient to cover the medical expenses in case of serious illnesses-related hospitalizations. It is important to review your health insurance policy and consider increasing the sum insured based on your needs.
3. I am a Government Employee, Have Coverage for the Entire Family Under Government Scheme, I Don't Need an Extra Personal Health Cover
As a government employee, you might have health coverage under some specified health schemes, however, please note that such facilities are available only at a few selected medical centres, generally concentrated in major metro cities. Hence, it is suggested to have an additional personal health cover to battle emergency situations when the government facility might not be accessible.
4. I Just Needed a Basic Health Insurance Policy, So I Purchased One with a Low Premium and Limited Coverage. I Feel it's Just Fine.
You might choose to opt for a lower premium health insurance policy with limited coverage. While this may save money in the short term, it may not provide adequate coverage when needed. It is important to strike a balance between premium and coverage and choose a policy that provides adequate coverage for your needs.
5. I Have Saved Enough Tax Under Different Sections of IT and Hence, I don't Need Health Insurance for Saving Tax.
While health insurance can save additional taxes under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, it should not be viewed only as a tax-saving tool. The primary function of Health insurance is to provide financial security and peace of mind in case of medical emergencies.
6. I am Young, Fit, and Fine. I do Not Need a Health Insurance Plan
While you may be young and healthy now, medical emergencies can occur unexpectedly. Having health insurance can provide financial security and help you cover the cost of medical treatments and hospitalization. Also, investing in health insurance at a young age can help you secure a lower premium and accumulate cumulative bonuses over time.
The Right Age to Buy Health Insurance
The right age and time to buy a health insurance is Now!
Basically, you should buy yourself a health insurance as soon as you start earning.
Buying a health insurance policy at an early age is a smart financial move. Here are some reasons why you should consider investing in a health insurance policy at an early age:
Why should I buy a Health Insurance Online?
Save Tax through Health Insurance u/s 80D of Income Tax
Buying a health insurance not just saves your pocket against ever rising medical costs but also offers tax benefits. Here are a few ways by which you can save tax through Health Insurance:
Common Health Insurance Terminologies Simplified
Important Videos Related to Health Insurance
Things to Keep in Mind Before Buying a Health Insurance
- Don’t choose a low sum insured just to save on your premium. Always choose the right sum insured based on your age, your healthcare needs and number of people you’re covering in your health insurance policy.
- Always check for what is covered and not covered in your health insurance policy, and read through the terms and conditions so you’re not in for any surprises! We understand that reading it all can seem boring, that’s why we at Digit have created short summaries and simpler policy documents to make this process simpler for you!
- If you have the option to customize your health insurance plan, always do that. For example: You can customize your health insurance policy with different add-ons for better coverage.
- Don’t wait too long to buy a health insurance. Buy a health insurance early in life, this way you will have more reasonable premiums and also ensure you’re through waiting periods faster!
- A health insurance is a vital financial decision so always evaluate all your options online before going for the first option you see!
Tips to Compare Health Insurance Plans
One of the benefits of buying a health insurance plan online is, that you have the chance and endless possibility to do your research and compare health insurance plans online.
To make your decision-making process easier, here are a list of factors you should compare before buying the best health insurance plan:
- Coverage Details: The whole point of a health insurance is to get maximum coverage on healthcare expenses. Therefore, always compare the kind of coverage you will receive and compare the sum insured for. After all, that would be up to how much your health insurance plan will cover you for.
- Service Benefits: While different health insurance plan will offer basic coverages, some will also go out of their way to take better care of you through some extra benefits. Therefore, compare the service benefits offered by different health insurance providers and see what works best for you.
- Network of Hospitals: Every health insurance provider has a network of hospitals you can visit and avail cashless claims from during times of need. However, to avail this benefit – it's important that you compare the range of hospitals available with your insurance provider and go for one that suits you the best.
- Type of Claims: There are generally two types of claims in a health insurance plan; Cashless and Reimbursement. In times of need, Cashless Claims prove to be a lot easier and beneficial. Therefore, compare health insurance plans to see if they provide you the benefit of cashless claims or not, and to what extent.
- Health Insurance Premium: This goes without saying, doesn’t it? This is something you’ll probably do. However, make sure your premium is relevant to the health insurance plan you choose. Don’t blindly get lured into cheap premiums, but always compare the coverage details against the premium and make a sound decision accordingly.
Factors Affecting Your Health Insurance Premium
Wondering why health insurance premiums differ? Based on a combination of various factors, your health insurance premium is defined by the following:
- Age - While health conditions are on a rise for both people young and old, younger people are still a lot healthier due to stronger immune systems. Additionally, the younger you are, the more time you have to complete your waiting period for specific illnesses and covers. Therefore, the younger you are, the lesser is your premium!
- Lifestyle - More than 61% of deaths in India are due to issues stemming from lifestyle diseases, including pollution levels! Therefore, your lifestyle habits such as if you’re a smoker or not will have an influence on your health insurance premium.
- Pre-existing diseases or conditions - If you’ve already been facing symptoms of some kind, or have a family history of a particular illness, then your health insurance premium will probably be higher due to the higher risk involved.
- Location - Your premium will be affected by the city you live in because every city is different, in terms of risks and medical costs. For example, people living in North India are a lot more prone to lung diseases, due to the high percentage of pollution.
- Additional Covers - One can customize their health insurance plan based on their personal requirements and health conditions. Therefore, when you opt for additional covers like a Maternity Benefit or AYUSH benefit, your premium too increases by a small margin.
How to Choose the Right Sum Insured?
- Life Stage: When the life-stage changes, you may need a higher sum insured. Say if you’re about to get married or are planning a kid.
- No. of Dependents: Insuring all the members of the family under a Health Insurance policy is a wiser way to protect your family against future financial risks related to high medical costs.
- Health Conditions: If there is a hereditary disease in the family or a common health condition seen rising in the city the person is staying, you should consider a higher sum insured.
- Lifestyle: If you live in polluted metro cities, toiling with traffic and bearing office stress every day, you may be at a higher risk of falling ill. Which in turn means, you need to cover yourself better.
Health Insurance Buying Tips
Health Insurance buying tips for Youngsters
- Get an insurance early in life.
- Go in for a higher sum insured as it increases the amount you have in case of an Accidental Hospitalization. 5-10 lakhs should be fine.
- Make sure you have a Critical Illness Cover included.
- If you plan to have a family in the future, choose a Maternity Benefit so that your waiting period is over in time.
Health Insurance buying tips for Families
- Insure all members of the family.
- Go in for a high sum-insured as it is distributed between all family members, you can keep 10 lakh per person and calculate the sum insured.
- If you have a floater plan, go in for a plan with Restoration Benefit
- Check the waiting periods for all benefits being offered.
- If you’re planning to insure your parents, check if it has common treatments like Knee Replacement, Cataract Surgery covered.
Health Insurance buying tips for Seniors
- With age the insurance premium goes up. So, if you already have a plan, you can increase its sum insured with a top-up plan.
- Make sure you check the kind of hospital tie-ups and service tie-ups your insurer is providing you.
- Check if the plan you’re getting has common treatments like Knee Replacement, cataract surgery covered.
- Check the sub-limits of the benefits being offered.
- Check the waiting period mentioned for different pre-existing diseases.
Which Medical Insurance Plan is Perfect for You
Choosing the right medical insurance plan can be a daunting task. Here are some guidelines to help you choose the right plan in different scenarios:
Popular Myths about Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Covers for Only Serious Illnesses: Many people are under the impression that health insurance plans cover for only serious and critical illnesses. However, that’s not true! A health insurance plan covers for regular illnesses, accidents, psychiatric support, child-delivery and also basic annual health checkups!
- “I Don’t Need a Health Insurance, Cause I’m Too Young for Illnesses”: Contrary to popular belief, no matter how old you are- you can be prone to illnesses both big and small. Especially, in the times we live in today- more and more younger people are being diagnosed with health conditions like PCOS, cancer and lung diseases due to our climate change driven lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits.