All about About Janashree Bima Yojana
The Janashree Bima Yojana scheme is a life insurance scheme for people below the poverty line. This article talks about Janashree Bima Yojana coverage and the different specialised perks offered through Shiksha Sahyog Yojana.
If you are considering availing this scheme or want to provide someone else with details, this article is the perfect place to clear your doubts! We have taken a detailed and comprehensive look at the whole scheme.
What is Janashree Bima Yojana?
The Government of India and the Life Insurance Corporation of India started the Janashree Bima Yojana back in 2000. They created this scheme to provide life insurance for both rural and urban people. Most importantly, this programme targets individuals who are below or marginally above the poverty line.
At present, the scheme covers forty-five different occupational groups. It now encompasses two previously prevalent systems – the Social Security Group Insurance Scheme and Rural Group Life Insurance Scheme.
We hope this cleared your understanding of what is Janashree Bima Yojana!
What are the features of Janashree Bima Yojana?
Some of the important features of the Janashree Bima Yojana are as follows:
- It is a government insurance scheme started in association with the LIC.
- This programme targets people marginally above or below the poverty line.
- Premium per person is Rs. 200.
- An applicant or state government or nodal agency pays around 50% of the premium.
- The Social Security Fund pays the remaining 50%.
- Self-help groups, NGOs, panchayats, or other institutional agencies can be considered as nodal agencies.
- Janashree Bima Yojana Scheme offers a unique service to female self-help group members. This scheme assists them in their children’s education, providing Rs. 30,000 for one year.
- There is also a provision for children whose parents are participants of the JBY. Two children per household studying in classes 11 or 12 can claim a scholarship of Rs. 600 every six months.
What are the benefits of Janashree Bima Yojana?
Before opting for any scheme, people always like to know the benefits of signing up. Here are some of the benefits of Janashree Bima Yojana.
- A beneficiary will receive Rs. 30,000 in the case of natural death.
- In the case of death or permanent disability due to an accident, the compensation offered is equal to Rs. 75,000.
- For a partial disability due to an accident, the amount provided is Rs. 37,500.
These are the benefits of signing up for the JBY or the Janashree Bima Yojana coverage.
What are some special schemes offered by Janashree Bima Yojana?
The JBY programme also offers, apart from the insurance coverage, some special concessions. They are as follows:
Essential details about Women SHG (self-help groups)
This scheme offers several benefits to women participants. It helps them with their children’s education. There is a term insurance plan offering coverage of Rs. 30,000. This amount is provided for a year. Beneficiaries will need to pay Rs. 200 as an annual premium. The woman member pays Rs. 100 and LIC pays the remaining Rs. 100.
Essential details about Shiksha Sahyog Yojana
This plan covers certain children only. Their parents should be members of the JBY. A scholarship of Rs. 600 is paid every six months to those in classes 11 and 12. This scholarship is provided to only two children per household.
What are the different groups covered in Janashree Bima Yojana?
The JBY group covers around forty-five different categories of workers. They are shown in the table given below.
List of 45 Categories of Workers:
- Anganwadi workers and helpers
- Beedi worker
- Brick kiln workers
- Plantation workers
- Manufacturer of paper products
- Powerloom workers
- Physically handicapped self-employed persons
- Papad workers attached to SEWA
- Earthen toy manufacturers
- Coconut processors
- Printing press workers
- Rural poor
- Scheme for urban poor
- Workers in rubber and coal-producing companies
- Workers in companies manufacturing chemical products like a candle
- Primary milk producers
- Construction workers
- Firecracker workers
- Safai karamcharis
- Workers in salt producing companies
- Workers in companies manufacturing food items, like khandsari/sugar
- Rickshaw pullers/auto drivers
- Handloom weavers
- Hilly area women
- Handloom and khadi weavers
- Toddy tappers
- Tendu leaf collectors
- Forest workers
- Handicraft artisans
- Sheep breeders
- Transport drivers’ association members
- Workers involved in the manufacture of leather products
- Lady tailors
- Leather tannery workers
- Transport karamcharis
- Workers involved in the manufacture of food products
- Women associated with SHG
What are the eligibility criterias for Janashree Bima Yojana?
The eligibility criterias for JBY are as follows.
- The age of the individual should be between 18 and 59 years.
- A person should be below or marginally above the poverty line.
- The membership size should be a minimum of 25.
- Should preferably be a member of any nodal agency or vocational group.
How to apply for Janashree Bima Yojana?
You can use this link to download and print the Janashree Bima Yojana online application form – https://www.pdffiller.com/29825639-fillable-janshri-bima-yojanamp-form. Also, a person can apply through the nodal agency or the self-help group he/she is a part of. Another way to apply would be through any LIC office.
The Janashree Bima Yojana aims to extend insurance policies to economically marginalised workers and their children. This scheme also benefits women and children by providing them with financial assistance.