How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Patna?
Patna, the capital of Bihar is one on the list of 100 Smart Cities in India. It has a population of over 2.39 million and ranks 19th on the list of the most populated cities. It has great airway, railway and road connectivity.
In terms of road connectivity, there are major highway routes that pass through Patna. The RTO offices ensure that all the rules of road safety are considered while driving, which makes valid driving licences an important factor. Keep reading to know everything about driving licences in Patna.
Types of Driving Licences Issued in Patna
The types of driving licence issued in Patna are in accordance with the government of Bihar. According to the Motor Vehicles Act, there are 4 types of driving licences issued in Bihar. The different types of driving licences issued are mentioned below:
1. Learner’s Licence: A learner’s licence is given to those who are learning how to drive a vehicle. This licence is valid for 6 months. If a candidate fails to pass their driving test, they will have to apply for their learner’s licence again.
2. Permanent Driving Licence: The permanent driving licence is granted after a candidate passes their driving test. However, one has to apply for this licence after 30 days and within 180 days of issue of the driving licence. The minimum age to apply for a permanent driving licence is 18 years. This licence remains valid for 20 years or until licence holders are 50 years of age. Moreover, once licence holders turn 50 they must renew their licence irrespective of its date of issue.
3. Commercial Driving Licence: A commercial driving licence is for those who drive commercial or transport vehicles like buses, cabs and goods-carrying vehicles. In case of a commercial driving licence, the applicant must be 20 years of age or above. The validity of a commercial driving licence is till 3 years.
4. International Driving Permit: An international driving licence is granted to those who want to drive a vehicle outside the country. It is mandatory to hold a permanent driving licence to obtain an International Driving Permit. This permit remains valid for a year and needs to be applied for again after it expires.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving licence in Patna
The eligibility criteria for applying for a driving licence in Patna are mentioned below:
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or above to drive a two-wheeler with an engine capacity of less than 50 cc
- The minimum age to drive a private vehicle is 18 years
- Applicants for a commercial driving licence must be 20 years of age or above
- It is mandatory to have a learner’s licence before applying for a permanent licence
- The permanent driving licence must be obtained by candidates after 30 days and within 180 days of issue of the learner’s licence
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Patna
The documents required to apply for a driving licence in Patna are mentioned below:
1. Proof of Age
The documents that can be provided as proof of age are mentioned below:
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card
- Birth Certificate
- Utility Bills
2. Address Proof
The documents that can be provided as an address proof are mentioned below:
3. Other Necessary Documents
Other documents necessary to apply for a driving licence are mentioned below:
- Application Form 4
- Driving Licence Form 5 for those applying for a commercial driving licence
- Original Learner’s licence
- Passport size photographs
- Application fee and driving test fee
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Online in Patna?
Step 1: Visit the Parivahan website and click on ‘Online Services’. Next, click on ‘Driving Licence Related Services’.
Step 2: Then, click on ‘Apply Online’ after which click on ‘New Driving Licence’.
Step 3: Select your state.
Step 4: Fill out the details in the application form and submit it.
Step 5: After that, upload all the necessary documents along with the signature and photograph.
Step 6: Make the payment and book a slot for the driving test.
Step 7: Appear for the driving test on the scheduled date and time.
The driving licence will be delivered to the registered address of those who pass the driving test.
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Offline in Patna?
Step 1: Visit your nearest RTO office and collect the application form.
Step 2: Fill out the form providing all the details and attach the necessary documents along with it.
Step 3: Submit the form and make payment of the application fees.
Step 4: Book a slot for the driving test.
Step 5: Appear for the test on the given date and time.
On passing the test successfully, the driving licence will be delivered to the candidate's registered address.
List of RTO Offices Where You Can Apply for a Driving Licence in Patna
There is 1 RTO office in Patna where you can apply for a driving licence:
RTO Office Patna