How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Surat?
Surat is one of the largest cities in Gujarat. The city is famous for being the world’s largest diamond manufacturing centre. Apart from that, Surat is the 8th largest city in India in terms of population.
The RTO offices in the city ensure that there is no inconvenience to the citizens in terms of traffic. It functions also include the issuing of driving licence in Surat, registering vehicles, issuing various permits, etc.
Types of Driving Licences Issued in Surat
The different types of driving licence issued in Gurgaon are mentioned below:
1. Learner’s Licence: The learner’s licence is provided when a candidate is still learning how to drive. It is valid for a period of 6 months. If a candidate fails to pass the test after 6 months he or she will have to apply for the learner’s licence again.
2. Permanent Driving Licence: Candidates holding a learner’s licence can apply for a permanent licence. This licence is valid for 20 years or until licence holders turn 50 years of age. When licence holders turn 50 they will have to renew their licence irrespective of the date of issue.
3. Commercial Driving Licence: A commercial driving licence is granted to those driving commercial or transport vehicles like buses, cabs and goods-carrying vehicles. Candidates applying for this licence must be 20 years of age and have a minimum qualification till the 8th standard.
4. International Driving Permit: An international driving licence is granted to those who want to drive outside the country. Individuals must have a permanent driving licence before applying for an International Driving Permit. Further, this permit is valid for a year. Candidates must apply for it again after it expires.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving licence in Surat
The eligibility criteria to apply for a driving licence in Surat is mentioned below:
- An individual must be 16 years or above to drive a two-wheeler with an engine capacity of less than 50 cc
- The minimum age to drive a light motor vehicle or a vehicle with gear is 18 years
- Those who apply for a commercial vehicle licence must be above 20 years with a minimum qualification till the 8th standard. In addition, they must have a minimum of 1 year of experience.
- It is mandatory to have a learner’s licence before applying for a permanent licence.
- Candidates can obtain a permanent licence after 30 days and within 180 days of issue of the learner’s licence.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Surat
1. Proof of Age
The documents that can be provided as proof of age are mentioned below:
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card
- Birth Certificate
- Utility Bills
2. Address Proof
The documents that can be provided as an address proof are mentioned below:
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Ration Card
- LIC Policy Bonds
- Employment Certificate from the Central or State Government
3. Other Necessary Documents
Other documents necessary to apply for a driving licence are mentioned below:
- Application Form 4
- Driving Licence Form 5 for those applying for a commercial driving licence
- Passport size photographs
- Application fee and driving test fee
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Online in Surat?
Step 1: Visit the Parivahan website and click on ‘Licences’. Next, select ‘New Driving Licence’.
Step 2: Fill out the form and upload the required documents along with it.
Step 3: Submit the application and take a printout of the acknowledgement receipt.
Step 4: Completing the above-mentioned steps will generate a web application number.
Step 5: Next, visit the RTO for the process of document verification and book a slot for the driving licence test.
Step 6: Appear for the driving test on the scheduled date and time.
On passing the test successfully, the driving licence will be delivered to your registered address.
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Offline in Surat?
Step 1: Visit the RTO office of your locality and collect the application form.
Step 2: Fill out the form providing all the necessary details.
Step 3: Submit the form along with the required documents.
Step 4: Book a slot for the driving test and pay the fees.
Step 5: Appear for the test on the scheduled date and time.
After a candidate passes the driving test their driving licence is delivered to their registered address.
List of RTO Offices Where You Can Apply for a Driving Licence in Surat
There are 3 RTO offices in Surat:
|RTO Surat (City)
|RTO Surat (Rural)