How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Indore?
Indore is a city and district headquarter in Madhya Pradesh. It is also the largest city in MP and is known for its cultural significance in the history of India. It has been important throughout the Gupta and Maratha Empires in Medieval India.
Presently, Indore serves as an important commercial centre of Madhya Pradesh, with one of India's highest numbers of electric vehicles (EVs). Local RTO is responsible for maintaining a database of all the registered motor vehicles in this region. This office is also entrusted with the duty to issue a driving licence in Indore.
Types of Driving Licences Issued in Indore
The transport office in Indore offers four types of driving licences to the residents of this district. Each type of driving licence serves a specialised purpose and helps implement transport regulations. Find a detailed description of the types of licence below:
1. Learner’s Licence: A learner’s licence allows the candidate to obtain a temporary licence with a maximum validity of 6 months or 180 days. This type of licence is offered to allow the individual to learn to drive and get familiar with Indore’s traffic rules and regulations.
2. Permanent Driving Licence: After learning to drive a vehicle, a permanent driving licence is issued to the candidate. However, the candidate may apply for a permanent driving licence 30 days after the issuance of the learner's licence. To apply, they will have to visit the respective RTO.
3. Commercial Driving Licence: A commercial driving licence is a particular type of permit allowing a motor vehicle driver to drive specialised vehicles such as transport and stage carriage vehicles.
4. International Driving Licence: Among all types of driving licences in Indore, you can also get an international driving licence which empowers the licence holder to drive two or four-wheeler vehicles overseas. Generally, all permanent driving licences in India come with domestic validity only. If a licence holder is interested in driving in a foreign country, he/she/they may apply for it in the concerned RTO.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Driving Licence in Indore
As the authoritative body, it reserves the right to deny a driving licence to a candidate who does not live up to the expected standards of holding a driving licence. Here are the criteria used to determine if a candidate is eligible for a type of driving licence:
- On completing 16 years of age, a candidate may apply for a driving licence for a two-wheeler with less than 50 cc engine capacity.
- For two-wheelers above 50 cc or four-wheelers (LMV), the applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- In Indore, 20 years old applicants are eligible to seek a commercial driving licence that allows them to drive goods-carrying vehicles as well as stage carriage vehicles.
- A candidate can apply for a permanent driving licence 30 days after receiving their learner's licence.
- Each candidate seeking any category of driving licence must be well-versed with traffic rules and regulations in Indore.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Indore
An individual seeking a driving licence in Indore needs to produce the following certificates and documents. Read below to learn about the complete set of documents required for the application:
1. Age Proof: (Any of the following)
- Aadhaar Card
- Birth Certificate
- 10th Board Admit Card
2. Address Proof: (Any of the following)
3. Other Documents:
- Life Insurance Policy
- Existing learner’s licence (when applying for permanent driving licence)
- Consent letter from guardian (if an applicant is underage)
- 3 passport sized photographs
- Certificate issued by driving training school (for transport vehicle only)
- Application Form 1 and 2 (for learner’s licence)
- Application Form 4 (for permanent driving licence)
- Application Form 5 (for the commercial driving licence only)
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Online in Indore?
Since the Digital India initiative was introduced, applying for a driving licence in Indore has become a pretty straightforward process. Follow the below-mentioned procedure to apply for the same:
- Learner’s Licence
Step 1: Visit the Parivahaan Sewa portal of the Government of India.
Step 2: Hover your cursor over "Online Services" and click on "Driving Licence-Related Services".
Step 3: Select your state “Odisha” from the drop-down menu at the centre.
Step 4: Click on the learner’s licence icon.
Step 5: Read all the instructions carefully and click on “Continue”.
Step 6: Choose your category from the drop-down menu and click on "Submit".
Step 7: Fill in all your details carefully.
Note – If you have Aadhaar, you can opt for eKYC, whereby the complete procedure will take place online. In case the particulars do not match, your application will be redirected to the concerned RTO to finish verification and submit all the relevant documents at the site.
Step 8: Pay the requisite application fees.
Step 9: Book the slot for the learner’s test or take a test online if you are eligible for eKYC.
Step 10 (for candidates not eligible for eKYC): Visit the concerned RTO office for document verification and take the learner’s test.
On completing the above-mentioned steps, you will get a date by which you can expect to receive your learner's licence.
- Permanent Driving Licence
After 30 days of receiving a learner’s licence, an individual is eligible to apply for a permanent driving licence. Follow the steps mentioned below to apply for the same:
Step 1: Visit the Parivahaan Sewa official portal of the Government of India’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Step 2: Hover your cursor over “Online Services” and click “Driving Licence Related Services”.
Step 3: Select your state "Odisha" from the drop-down menu at the centre.
Step 4: Click on “Apply for Driving Licence”.
Step 5: Read all the instructions carefully and click on “Continue”.
Step 6: Enter your learner’s licence number, date of birth and click on “Ok”.
Step 7: Fill in all your information carefully.
Step 8: Pay the requisite application fees for a permanent driving licence.
Step 9: Book a time slot for your driving test.
Step 10: Download the payment receipt and acknowledgement slip and take a printout of the documents.
Step 11: Visit the concerned RTO office with all the documents to get them verified and take your driving test.
After your driving test is over, the concerned RTO will process the application request for a permanent driving licence which will be dispatched via post.
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Offline in Indore?
As per the law, all motor vehicle drivers must hold a valid driving licence in Indore. Find below a step-by-step procedure to apply for the same:
Step 1: Visit Madhya Pradesh Government’s Transport Department office (RTO) in Indore and obtain the relevant form(s) as per the type of licence you are requesting for.
Step 2: Fill up the application form as per the instructions and attach the necessary documents along with it.
Step 3: Submit the application form to the MP 09 RTO along with all the relevant documents.
Step 4: Pay the requisite fees to the concerned authority and schedule the written or driving test.
Step 5: Appear for the test on the said date and time and clear it to procure your learner’s licence/permanent driving licence.
Note – After receiving a learner's licence, the candidate has 30 days to learn to drive before he/she/they can apply for a permanent driving licence.
List of RTO Offices Where You Can Apply for a Driving Licence in Indore